Monday, March 21, 2011

Carlos Bakery...

Monday morning we got up and decided we would have pizza for breakfast and pay a visit to the Cake Boss, Carlos Bakery, for some treats to bring home. Colton and I have watched this show plenty of times (we tend to watch all food related shows...man vs. food, best thing I ever ate...) and Nick had told us that the crumb cake was one of his favorites growing up so it was a must. When we had driven by earlier in the weekend the line to get into the store was down the street. Hoping that on a rainy Monday morning the line would be more tolerable, we went for it. Overall the whole experience took about 45 minutes from waiting in line to biting into our first sweet. We walked out with crumb cake, cannolis, cupcakes, lobster tails, almond bark, and one carrot cake cupcake that Colton insisted on. I thought all were really, really good except for the carrot cake. The lobster tails/cannoli were very similar to Mike's so it was hard to really compare because they are both good. The only really pro to the Carlo's lobster tails were that they are small, which is easier to eat, you get even bites of cream and shell and this leaves room for trying other things, the ones at Mike's are so big they actually resemble a real lobster (not a bad problem either but you end up throwing out half the cream). I think Mike's has the better plain cannoli though, Carlo's was good but a tad greasier with a cinnamon aftertaste (don't get me wrong they were good, in fact I liked the additional taste of cinnamon and the grease could be because they were so fresh). The cannoli was actually still good two days later and I think the way to go is to order the chocolate dipped one...crazy delish. Crumb cake...what can I say...if you like CRUMB than this cake is for you, I love crumb so I had this crumbly delight as my dinner last night..SOOO GOOD. The layer of crumb is bigger than Nick's head (that is big). Can't say enough good things about the cupcake too, went for the plain with chocolate frosting to keep it simple. Very moist cake and a fudgey frosting...totally my weakness. In all, some of the best desserts...we need to revisit every trip now. Today I am in detox...no more sweets! After the bakery we went across the street for pizza slices at Impostos where the white pie is my favorite....yummm...real italian pizza...how I love thee. After our breakfast/lunch we hit the road and Colton slept for 4 hours straight (perhaps a food coma). We also came back to a snowy Boston, didn't Mother Nature know it was the first day of Spring?!?!



No comments: