Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Hawaii - Day 7

Next morning we woke up in Kona. This was the one port you needed to be tendered into land, so fun! It was interesting that you could see visible damage from the recent tsunami, the visitors building was totaled from the floods, just crazy that it all happened so close to our trip. When Heidi and I walked off the pier a moped went flying by and that was all we needed to plan our next "fly by the seat of our pants" excursion. We found the nearest moped rental place, which gave free snorkeling gear with their rentals, grabbed a map and hit the road. SO MUCH FUN (I want a vespa please). We found so many cool beaches driving along the shore. We stopped at one spot, White Sands Beach, and it was so clear that we had to get in the water and snorkel. As soon as I dove in and looked to my left to find Heidi I was face to face with a huge sea turtle that I swear to God smiled and waved. The clearest water, whitest sand surrounded by black lava rock...breath-taking. I heart Kona. That night we took a mojito making class on the boat...whoa nelly.


No comments: