Friday, August 21, 2009

Manicures for Nana

My Nana is 83 years old and this was her second trip ever to a nail salon. The first time was many years ago though and she had fake nails put on that didn't last a week because she couldn't stand them. So I took Nana out for a one on one lunch date where we had the best grapenut custard pudding (we both are connoisseurs of this...trust me it was good) and then I told her we had to get our nails done. At first she thought it meant getting fake nails again but then I explained that they would fix up her real nails and make them pretty. She didn't want to go because she said her nails were so awful, but I made her. OK...so we get in there and she naturally picks out a pink polish. So while we were getting our nails done the women are talking in another language to themselves (picture that Seinfeld episode) and I look over and my Nana is trying to talk back to them saying things like "oh yeah", "yup", "I know"...then the lady looks up at her and goes "Oh you speak Vietnamese?" and "Oh you so cute, me take you home" oh and my personal favorite "do you want balloon?"...they had balloons up in the store and thought she would like one to take home. Hysterical...then next thing I know they are asking her "You like flower?"...so yeah of course she said yes and that is how two daisies with the glitter swish designs ended up on her ring fingers. To sum it all up she LOVED it and said she doesn't know what took her so many years to start getting her nails done. She told the ladies she would be back in a few weeks and that she would like a tropical flower for her granddaughter Nicole's wedding. She can barely walk and she limped all the way to the back of the salon to say good bye to her nail lady and to tell her she loves her nails one last time. I tried to point out a few other nail salons I thought we could try on the way home but she said it would be like cheating and she likes "her place". Oh she is something else and these pictures prove it.

No comments: